DIY Extra Strength Progesterone Cream
This article is a rough draft!
This means that although usable, the article may be missing citations, contain grammar errors, and likely still needs to be expanded upon.
This cream is prescribed by Dr. Powers to MtF trans women in order to assist their bodies in fat redistribution and breast growth alongside the following instructions:
- Apply 1 Gram (1 pump) to alternating breasts 5 days a week
- Apply 1 Gram (1 pump) to face 2 days a week
- Apply 1 Gram (1 pump) to body daily
As far as we can tell, an equivalent product does not seem to be prescribed or sold anywhere else aside from his clinic. This instructional guide is, therefore, necessary for many trans women to know how to safely use and make it from home.
We have been careful to write these instructions as clearly as possible and include legitimate sources for the necessary ingredients wherever possible. This guide was not written by Dr. Powers and is not remotely affiliated with him in any capacity.
See this article for information on where to acquire powdered progesterone.
How to Make
Step 1 - Creating the Carrier Cream Lotion
This section of the instructional guide details how to create the carrier lotion that DMSO and the active ingredient progesterone will be mixed into.
Important note: Creating DIY carrier lotion with the intention of mixing with DMSO and pharmaceuticals requires your surfaces, mixing utensils and storage containers to be as sterile as possible to inhibit the growth of mold and bacteria.
- 4 ounces plant-based oil, your choice (Organic olive oil, organic coconut oil, organic grapeseed oil, or calendula herbal oil)
- 6 fluid ounces liquid, your choice (filtered/distilled water, aloe vera juice, or calendula hydrosol)
- 1/2 ounce organic vegetable glycerin
- 1/2 ounce emulsifying wax
- 1/2 ounce stearic acid
- 0.1 ounce citric acid
- 3 mL rosemary antioxidant extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoon non-GMO vitamin E oil (optional)
- Using a kitchen scale, weigh all ingredients.
- In a small sauce pan, combine the oil, liquid of choice, vegetable glycerin, emulsifying wax, stearic acid, and citric acid.
- Heat mixture on the stove over low heat, until the mixture is well combined and completely melted. Stir frequently.
- Remove from stove.
- Using an immersion blender (or a wire whisk), stir intermittently until cool, creamy, and thick.
- Add in rosemary antioxidant (extract), and vitamin E oil if using.
- Stir well.
- Pour into sterile storage jars.
This lotion has an estimated shelf life of 4-6 months on the counter and doesn't require refrigeration. If you see mold growing, toss it out immediately.
Step 2 - Mixing DMSO with Carrier Lotion and Progesterone
This section of the instructional guide details how to properly mix the DMSO and progesterone together with your carrier lotion. It is recommended you wash your hands thoroughly and wear gloves for this step, as DMSO can easily penetrate your skin, carrying anything on the surface level into your bloodstream. High concentrations of DMSO are also toxic.
These instructions are calculated to create a 90-gram bottle of product containing Progesterone 200mg/gram with 10% DMSO carrier lotion.
- Mix 7.2 grams (6.54 mL, or 1.33 teaspoons) of DMSO 99.9% together with 64.8 grams of raw carrier lotion and stir with a clean, sterilized metal stirring rod.
- Continue stirring for 1 to 2 minutes until fully mixed.
- Add 18 grams of raw progesterone powder to your lotion/DMSO mix.
- Mix well, stirring for up to 5 minutes to ensure proper consistency of products. The final product should look smooth with no visible chunks.
- Store mixture inside of a sealed, sterile jar. Store this in a cool, dry place away from sunlight.
NOTE: Before applying the desired amount for the first time, it's important to perform an allergy test by applying a small portion directly to a spot on your skin and waiting up to 30 minutes. It is recommended that you clean the areas you will be applying to by washing the area or using an alcohol prep pad prior to its application.
If no side effects such as rashes or itchiness occur, continue with the following directions:
- Take a small portion, about 1 gram (if unsure, 1 gram should make a small line from a clicker bottle from the tip of your index finger to the first joint, about 1 inch in size)
- Apply this mixture to the recommended areas. Refer to the instructions listed at the top of this page for more information.
- Do not rub it in. Apply lightly to the skin and let dry. Rubbing excessively may cause a burn, similar to rug burn.
- If you start to feel a slight burning sensation, wash off immediately and wait up to 1 hour before applying coconut oil to the skin to help soothe it.
If you start to develop a severe rash or allergic reaction, wash the mixture off immediately and call 911 when appropriate.